Monday, March 2, 2009

Scope Note

Concept Reviews is a companion blog by Roger Sween to Ceptsform, CeptsForm Library, and Loria Series. All the postings in all these blogs continuously update as described links in CeptsForm Index.

As I have a tendency to relate one thing to other things, the idea for Concept Reviews came to me some years ago. This proclivity to see or look for relationships appeared especially strong whenever I read a book and compellingly strong when I wrote up any notes or reviews of them. Of course, I recognize that individual books relate to one another in myriad ways. Comparison of any two or number of them to one another on some basis can neither be exhaustive of a book’s possibilities to make some kind of sense nor comprehensive in any topical approach towards inclusion of even the most incisive books for a topic.

Nevertheless, thinking about one book in relation to another or a bunch of others is both enjoyable and revealing. To do so in a more deliberate and bundling or branching way than I have done before is worth the experiment. Besides, it promises to encourage me on to more reading, more thinking, more connecting, more valuation of alternatives that I already desire and more fully achieve.

Another driver is my desire to look at the longer range of worthy literature than what is current or transitory. I have nagging doubts that we as readers do not obtain enough length of focus in our attention and ought, therefore, gain a better grasp of the conversations that have taken place, not only over the decades of our own life. For centuries back us up through the inheritance of literature in all its forms and through its trails and trains of contents somehow linked together.

What follows is a series of conceptual headings with two or more titles discussed and in some way comparable to one another. What will likely happen is that conceptual postings will be revised and expanded with the passage of time as additional titles are placed with those that came together first.

I welcome substantive comments to the contents of this blog. Personal comments to me may be made at my email address, rogdesk@charter.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment